My Favourite Fitness Apps

Today I've compiled a few of my favorite apps that helped me with my health and fitness journey, all of the following apps are free to download and use (paid upgrades are available but you don't really need them). In my quest for health and fitness, these are some of the greatest tools I have come across.

My Fitness Pal

This is a great app to help you keep your diet on track, it has a huge database of foods, and allows you to scan bar codes of packaged food items to input into your daily diary. It also shows you macro/micronutrients and allows you to set your own targets, whether you are working towards weight loss, or weight/muscle gain.
You can also record your daily exercise and it gives you an approximate number of calories burned for each exercise.

This has been a great help to me over the years, and its one of the tools I used everyday last year when I lost 10kgs. I now use it to see the fibre content of foods as that is something not always listed on labels.
 

Nike+ Training Club

Personal trainers can be expensive, this app gives you access to hundreds of different workouts for all levels of fitness, that you can do at home or the gym. There is video with every exercise to show you how to complete each movement correctly, and verbal instruction to motivate you as go through each work out. 

This was great for me as a beginner who had very limited knowledge, and I still use it when I'm unable to get to the gym for a weights based workout.


Down Dog

Down Dog is a yoga app, it allows you to select a yoga program based on your ability, how long you want to practice for, and the type of practice you want to complete. It generates a new program along with video and vocal instruction for you each day, and you have the ability to save practices that you enjoyed if you want to do them again. Down Dog also has a choice of music playlists to help you unwind. 

I use this app daily; post workout to get a good stretch and sometimes before bed to help myself relax. I've noticed a huge improvement in my flexibility in the last 6 months of using it, now 9 times out of 10 I can get down into a full front split  - and I haven't been able to do that since I was 12 years old!
 


A bonus health related app for women is CLUE.
CLUE is a cycle tracker, which predicts when your next period will be, when you are most fertile, and when you might expect to experience PMS, based on your daily input into the app. I've programmed it to send me alerts when my period is due so I don't get caught out and its been wonderful.

Thanks for reading today, I hope that this has been helpful and that some of these apps come in handy for you!
-Ash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RotoVegas Pt. 1: Christmas Day

A Year in Review

If You Wanna Break These Walls Down You’re Gonna Get Bruised